There are the runners up like the sound of rain on the roof, Daniels truck pulling in the driveway, and the sound the wind makes blowing through the trees. All good sounds and sounds that I love, but it is laughter that makes my heart soar.
I can mentally picture the way each persons face looks when they laugh and I can recreate the sound of it in my head.
This last week I had my sisters family here visiting. It was a house full of noise and chaos. With her 3 kids and our 3, it was a zoo.
As I laid in bed on Sunday night listening to the silence after everyone left, I started thinking how it was now too quiet. I ran through all the events of the last week, I recalled conversations, plans, and activities, but then Devin's (my nephew) laugh sprung into my mind. The way it starts out in the deeper in the almost 14 year tone and then gradually converts back to the younger higher pitched laugh. Then I started going through each member of my family and remembering the sound of their laugh. I can recall the way a laugh sounded even after years of physically not hearing it. It made me smile to think I could mentally "hear" each one.
I was reminded of my Sunday night musings today at work while talking to one of my oldest friends (whom I work with). In an effort to keep from making a spectacle of ourselves and to keep our inside jokes, well, on the inside, we were laughing silently. I realized that if I were to try and laugh silently all the time I might explode!
I believe in letting it all out, but try to refrain when the situation calls for it.
I can tell if my sister is doing her fake laugh when she is just being polite. Daniel's sounds like a grown up little kids laugh, big and fully from his chest.
My sister, Niece and I have what we like to call the "Wind Down" It's the audible breath you take at the end of a good belly laugh. It gives it a good finish and if we all do it at the same time it sends us into another fit of laughter, and so on.
I had a friend , who shared my love of laughter, once say "I laugh to keep from crying". I realize what a brilliant theory it is.
Replace sadness with Joy!
Daniel does it every morning with Sterling. Sterling wakes up cranky and a few minutes later he is laughing uncontrollably from Daniel playing and tickling him.
So I've decided... Laughter is the best sound.
*all pictures were found on my little point and shoot that I left at home all week. It looks like the kids put it to good use.
I can mentally picture the way each persons face looks when they laugh and I can recreate the sound of it in my head.
This last week I had my sisters family here visiting. It was a house full of noise and chaos. With her 3 kids and our 3, it was a zoo.
As I laid in bed on Sunday night listening to the silence after everyone left, I started thinking how it was now too quiet. I ran through all the events of the last week, I recalled conversations, plans, and activities, but then Devin's (my nephew) laugh sprung into my mind. The way it starts out in the deeper in the almost 14 year tone and then gradually converts back to the younger higher pitched laugh. Then I started going through each member of my family and remembering the sound of their laugh. I can recall the way a laugh sounded even after years of physically not hearing it. It made me smile to think I could mentally "hear" each one.
I was reminded of my Sunday night musings today at work while talking to one of my oldest friends (whom I work with). In an effort to keep from making a spectacle of ourselves and to keep our inside jokes, well, on the inside, we were laughing silently. I realized that if I were to try and laugh silently all the time I might explode!
I believe in letting it all out, but try to refrain when the situation calls for it.
I can tell if my sister is doing her fake laugh when she is just being polite. Daniel's sounds like a grown up little kids laugh, big and fully from his chest.
My sister, Niece and I have what we like to call the "Wind Down" It's the audible breath you take at the end of a good belly laugh. It gives it a good finish and if we all do it at the same time it sends us into another fit of laughter, and so on.
I had a friend , who shared my love of laughter, once say "I laugh to keep from crying". I realize what a brilliant theory it is.
Replace sadness with Joy!
Daniel does it every morning with Sterling. Sterling wakes up cranky and a few minutes later he is laughing uncontrollably from Daniel playing and tickling him.
So I've decided... Laughter is the best sound.
*all pictures were found on my little point and shoot that I left at home all week. It looks like the kids put it to good use.







No comments:
Post a Comment